Basketball Review Hurricane women

Martha Bodley (45)
C, 6-3, Senior, St. Croix Educational Complex
Last Year: Bodley saw spot duty off the bench, averaging two points and 1.3 rebounds in 18 games.
This Year: As the only true center on Miami’s roster, Bodley should see a significant block of time early on. She will have to show results in order to keep earning minutes.

Kathryn Fowler (33)
F, 6-0, Senior, Christ the King
Last Year: Fowler continued to see time off the bench, playing in 23 games. However, her numbers decreased to 2.9 points and 2.5 rebounds.
This Year: As one of the more experienced players, Fowler will give the Hurricane bench some help and will likely see at least a similar role as last year.

Melissa Knight (3)
F, 5-11, Freshman, William Penn Charter
Last Year: According to the All-Star Girls Report, Knight was ranked the 111th best player in the class of 2001.
This Year: Knight brings an ability to add several things to this ball club. She will likely be one of the first players off Ferne Labati’s bench.

Yalonda McCormick (10)
G, 5-8, Freshman, Monsignor Pace
Last Year: Leading Pace to a 26-2 record, McCormick averaged 21.5 points, 10.5 assists, and an unheard of 10.1 steals per game.
This Year: The wildcard of the Hurricanes, McCormick’s potential is endless and if she doesn’t start the season at point guard, she will likely receive significant time at the position.

Amanda Papuga (21)
G, 5-10, Junior, Lyons Township
Last Year: One of the most improved players on the team, Papuga saw some starts at the point and overall, averaged 5.5 points and 2.8 assists.
This Year: Papuga is recovering from a hamstring injury and hopefully will be available for the start of the season. When healthy, she will give Miami some much needed depth at guard.

Fallon Phanord (22)
G, 5-9, Freshman, Michael M. Krop
Last Year: After a promising junior campaign, Phanord missed all of last season due to injury.
This Year: Phanord has worked extremely hard in recovering from injuries and has earned herself a spot on the team. Now her goal is to earn some significant playing time off the bench.

Yolanda Whigham (14)
G, 5-8, Freshman, Plant City
Last Year: Ranked No. 24 in the nation by Blue Star Index, Whigham also saw action with the Big East summer team.
This Year: Unfortunately, the summer also brought a torn ACL to Whigham, and she is expected to be out of action until December. When she returns, Whigham will look to give Miami an immediate boost.

Shaqu ana Wilkins (23)
F, 6-2, Sophomore, Winter Park
Last Year: As a freshman, Wilkins saw minutes off the bench, averaging 3.6 points and 2.3 rebounds while shooting 53.6 percent from the field
This Year: Wilkins may be Miami’s first forward off the bench and will definitely be looked upon to continue improving in her play.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...