UM shows depth in blowout

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team ended their 2001 exhibition season Saturday afternoon at the Knight Sports Complex with a huge statement, dominating the LA City Stars, 107 – 72.

After a bit of a slow start, the Hurricanes came on strong, keeping the pressure throughout the contest.

Junior forward James Jones poured in a team high of 19 points as the ‘Canes shot 53 percent from the field, including an astounding 68 percent in the second half. Four of the five Miami starters finished in double figures.

“I believe James is our most improved player,” said Hurricanes coach Perry Clark. “We didn’t really make any adjustments at halftime. It was just a matter of us picking up the intensity in the second half and then keeping it up.”

Miami enters the 2001-02 season with something they haven’t had in a while – depth.

“When you have a team like we do that has a lot of depth, it makes it easier for the starters to play well,” Jones said. “Last year, if we took some chances and took some fouls, we were in trouble. With the bench coming in and stepping up to the challenge, it makes it easier for us to gamble and take some more chances because we know the people coming in to back us up will be playing with the same type of intensity.”

The Miami bench accounted for 50 of Miami’s 107 points.

Along with depth comes a very important- versatility. While players like freshman Kahleaf Watson drive to the hole, others like Jones and sophomore Darius Rice are hitting threes.

The ‘Canes shot 43 percent on thirty attempts from behind the arc. Despite the three-point threat, Jones knows his team’s style of offense would not be centered about the three-point game.

“If the three point game comes off the flow of what we do then it will be accept-

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...