Tennis dominates doubles

The University of Miami women’s tennis team concluded their fall season strongly this past weekend when they hosted the Second Annual Hurricane Fall Classic.

The home tournament, Miami’s first and only one this fall, included matches between Miami, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and South Alabama.

The Hurricanes were almost flawless in doubles competition, taking nine out of 11 doubles matches. Unfortunately, the only two losses finished within a narrow 8-6 margin.

“We’ve had a lot of bright spots this fall,” said women’s coach Paige Yaroshuk, who is very pleased with the success of the doubles teams. “And we have worked very hard on our strategy for doubles.”

And it shows.

Two of Miami’s doubles teams had a remarkable weekend, sweeping all of their competitors. Junior Igna de Villiers and sophomore Abby Smith won all three of their matches, highlighted by an 8-1 win over South Alabama’s Dominika Nemcovicova and Silvia Sosnarova Saturday morning.

Miami’s sophomore team of Sihem Bennacer and Sara Robbins also won all three of their doubles matches.

Miami’s No.1 doubles team of senior Marcy Hora and sophomore Mari Toro took three out of their four matches. Their most impressive victory occurred Friday morning when the two kicked off the tournament with an 8-2 victory over FIU’s Maria Montoya and Dominique Rosenberg.

“Toro has been a great leader for us on and off the court,” Yaroshuk said. “[Toro] and Marcy have definitely helped carry this team throughout the fall.”

Despite her success in doubles competition, Hora did not fair as well in singles.

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...