Tennis dominates doubles

The University of Miami women’s tennis team concluded their fall season strongly this past weekend when they hosted the Second Annual Hurricane Fall Classic.

The home tournament, Miami’s first and only one this fall, included matches between Miami, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and South Alabama.

The Hurricanes were almost flawless in doubles competition, taking nine out of 11 doubles matches. Unfortunately, the only two losses finished within a narrow 8-6 margin.

“We’ve had a lot of bright spots this fall,” said women’s coach Paige Yaroshuk, who is very pleased with the success of the doubles teams. “And we have worked very hard on our strategy for doubles.”

And it shows.

Two of Miami’s doubles teams had a remarkable weekend, sweeping all of their competitors. Junior Igna de Villiers and sophomore Abby Smith won all three of their matches, highlighted by an 8-1 win over South Alabama’s Dominika Nemcovicova and Silvia Sosnarova Saturday morning.

Miami’s sophomore team of Sihem Bennacer and Sara Robbins also won all three of their doubles matches.

Miami’s No.1 doubles team of senior Marcy Hora and sophomore Mari Toro took three out of their four matches. Their most impressive victory occurred Friday morning when the two kicked off the tournament with an 8-2 victory over FIU’s Maria Montoya and Dominique Rosenberg.

“Toro has been a great leader for us on and off the court,” Yaroshuk said. “[Toro] and Marcy have definitely helped carry this team throughout the fall.”

Despite her success in doubles competition, Hora did not fair as well in singles.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...