News Briefs and Campus Calendar

Memorial service
The memorial service of freshman Chad Meredith, who died on November 5th, will be held tomorrow at TIME HERE. Condolences from The Miami Hurricane go out to family and friends.

Yearbook pictures
Attention all students time is running out!
Don’t miss your opportunity to be in this year’s Ibis yearbook. New dates have been added, November 12-15 in UC233 from 11am-7pm.
Seniors: To sign up go to www.yearbookphotograhers.com, the password is Ibis and the sitting fee is $15.
Underclassmen: Just stop by to have your photo taken.

congratulations
Jordan Rodack and Abby Dwyer have been re-elected for another semester as Editor in Chief and Business Manager for UM’s school newspaper, The Miami Hurricane.

correction
In the Tuesday, Oct. 13 issue of the Miami Hurricane in the article titled, “Freshman drowns in Lake Osceola,” it was reported that Timothy Williamson was one of the three students who went swimming in the lake. In fact, Williamson stood around the lake in order to ensure that everything went okay, he said. The Hurricane apologizes for this error.

reminder
Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors:
Registration continues!

TIS’ THE SEASON FOR FLU VACCINE
Flu season is upon us and the flu vaccine is available free of charge at the Student Health Center.

Throughout the week
National Hunger and Homelessness Week Call 305-284-4483 for the events.

today
The International Education and Exchange Programs office hosts information session on Study Abroad Programs for Summer 2002 from 3-5pm at 101 Allen Hall. As part of Int’l Education Week 2001! Visit www.studyabroad.miami.edu. For more information, please call 305-284-3183.

Inquiry: The Research Connection. Come hear TRUE but amazing stories from the field…featuring researchers from UM. The event will be held tonight at 6pm in Flamingo Ballroom A. For more information call Barbara Tuncosa at 305-761-8223.

U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige shares his insights on the state of the nation’s educational system at the Storer Auditorium at 3-5pm today. A former school superintendent and college dean, Paige was instrumental in creating the Houston area’s first independent school district, which is now a national model for the charter school concept. Limited seating. For more information, call the School of Education at 305-284-3711.

November 14
The Intramural Golf Scramble will begin at noon today at the Biltmore’s golf course. Teams of two will compete, and all UM students and faculty are welcome to participate.

Flu Vaccines will be administered in UC breezeway from 11:30am-1pm and in Eaton classrooms at 5:30-6:30pm.

The Faces of the Homeless Dinner, as a part of Students Together Ending Poverty’s Hunger and Homelessness Week, will be held in UC Flamingo Ballrooms A & B at 4 p.m. Food is provided. Hear currently or formerly homeless citizens of South Florida speak on their experiences and challenge what you thought about the average homeless population. Call 305-284-4483 for more information.

november 15
Ford Focus sponsors a Road Rally today on the University Green from 9am-3pm. All participants receive great prices and even tickets to see LIVE in concert.

Flu Vaccines will be administered in the UC Breezeway at 11:30am-1pm and at the Wellness Center atrium at 5:30-6:30pm.

CASTRO, BIOTECH AND TERRORISM TOPIC OF ICCAS LECTURE UM’s Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies is hosting a luncheon/seminar entitled “Castro, Biotechnology and Terrorism” from 12-2 p.m. today at the Faculty Club. The cost is $20 and you can RSVP by calling 305-284-2822.

RICHTER LIBRARY HOSTS OPEN HOUSE The Richter Library is hosting a Fall Faculty Reception and Open House from 5-6:30 p.m. today on the third floor conference room. Tours of the newly renovated second and third floors will be available during the reception. RSVP to Caryn at 305-284-3551 or mailto:cberryman@miami.edu.

november 16

Focus Forum. Informal roundtable discussion about smart choices, careers and dreams hosted by Jay Mohr including Ed Kowalczk from LIVE and Pieer Perabo from Coyote Ugly.

UM Surfrider presents The Surf Party at the Rathskeller tonight at 8pm-1am.

november 17
The Indian Students Association will hold its annual “Diwali 2001 Celebrations” tonight at 7:30pm at the North Miami Performing Arts Center. Tickets are on sale at $10, $15 & $20. Come and see this beautiful exhibition of Indian Culture at its finest ever and celebrate the Indian New Year with us as we dance, sing and share our food and heritage with you. Part of the proceeds will go to “United Way” fund. For more information e-mail us at isaofum@hotmail.com visit our website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/isa.

The Lowe Museum presents Once Upon A Saint today. Admission is free to students.