Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement in the last issue that “objective, unbiased reporting is the most important thing we do.” As a proud member of the University of Miami community for over three years, I have been one of the few avid readers of the Miami Hurricane, and it’s disappointing that you have failed to practice what you preach.

We are privileged to attend such a fine academic institution. The learning in our classrooms is augmented by a vast array of extracurricular opportunities.

As members of student organizations like a fraternity or the Miami Hurricane we are entitled to a multitude of benefits that enhance our educational experience. However, we are also subject to certain responsibilities.

As fraternity members, we are put under intense scrutiny for everything we do. And let me assure you, we are certainly held accountable for any wrongdoing that occurs. However, it seems that the Miami Hurricane can print whatever it likes, even when it endangers the lives of students. As the only newspaper in our community, it is your obligation to be “objective and unbiased” in your reporting of the campus, including the Greek community.

At a luncheon this week with Greek leaders, I sat amazed as I listened to how many positive activities performed by fraternities and sororities have gone unpublished in your paper, even when they have submitted press releases to your office.

I personally sent a Letter to the Editor last week in an attempt to clear up some bad reporting, and that, too, went unpublished. Yet, it seems that you will print untrue rumors and libelous information, even after University officials have made it clear that no wrongdoing has occurred on the part of an organization.

Alpha Epsilon Pi is a fraternal organization dedicated to the development of our members into responsible citizens. This includes volunteering in the community, holding social events and both personal and professional development.

Our members are not perfect and make mistakes just as any human being does. However, it is important that we not run from our problems. Rather, as students we must learn from our mistakes and move forward to become better people.

Things are not always as they appear to be. If the Miami Hurricane, however, chooses to run an article or an editorial, I would hope that they would be as responsible as all other student organizations on the campus and ensure the accurate and objective reporting of the facts.

If we, as a fraternity, can do anything to help the newspaper to this end, we would be more than happy to discuss the positive promotion of our entire University of Miami community.

Daniel Miller,

President, Alpha Epsilon Pi

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...