Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement in the last issue that “objective, unbiased reporting is the most important thing we do.” As a proud member of the University of Miami community for over three years, I have been one of the few avid readers of the Miami Hurricane, and it’s disappointing that you have failed to practice what you preach.

We are privileged to attend such a fine academic institution. The learning in our classrooms is augmented by a vast array of extracurricular opportunities.

As members of student organizations like a fraternity or the Miami Hurricane we are entitled to a multitude of benefits that enhance our educational experience. However, we are also subject to certain responsibilities.

As fraternity members, we are put under intense scrutiny for everything we do. And let me assure you, we are certainly held accountable for any wrongdoing that occurs. However, it seems that the Miami Hurricane can print whatever it likes, even when it endangers the lives of students. As the only newspaper in our community, it is your obligation to be “objective and unbiased” in your reporting of the campus, including the Greek community.

At a luncheon this week with Greek leaders, I sat amazed as I listened to how many positive activities performed by fraternities and sororities have gone unpublished in your paper, even when they have submitted press releases to your office.

I personally sent a Letter to the Editor last week in an attempt to clear up some bad reporting, and that, too, went unpublished. Yet, it seems that you will print untrue rumors and libelous information, even after University officials have made it clear that no wrongdoing has occurred on the part of an organization.

Alpha Epsilon Pi is a fraternal organization dedicated to the development of our members into responsible citizens. This includes volunteering in the community, holding social events and both personal and professional development.

Our members are not perfect and make mistakes just as any human being does. However, it is important that we not run from our problems. Rather, as students we must learn from our mistakes and move forward to become better people.

Things are not always as they appear to be. If the Miami Hurricane, however, chooses to run an article or an editorial, I would hope that they would be as responsible as all other student organizations on the campus and ensure the accurate and objective reporting of the facts.

If we, as a fraternity, can do anything to help the newspaper to this end, we would be more than happy to discuss the positive promotion of our entire University of Miami community.

Daniel Miller,

President, Alpha Epsilon Pi

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...